Judges – Ehud and the Oppression of the Moabites
12 Again the Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and because they did this evil the Lord gave Eglon king of Moab power over Israel. 13 Getting the Ammonites and Amalekites to join him, Eglon came and attacked Israel, and they took possession of the City of Palms (Jerico). 14 The Israelites were subject to Eglon king of Moab for eighteen years.
15 Again the Israelites cried out to the Lord, and he gave them a deliverer—Ehud, a left-handed man, the son of Gera the Benjamite. The Israelites sent him with tribute to Eglon king of Moab. 16 Now Ehud had made a double-edged sword about a cubit long, which he strapped to his right thigh under his clothing. 17 He presented the tribute to Eglon king of Moab, who was a very fat man. 18 After Ehud had presented the tribute, he sent on their way those who had carried it. 19 But on reaching the stone images near Gilgal he himself went back to Eglon and said, “Your Majesty, I have a secret message for you.”
The king said to his attendants, “Leave us!” And they all left.
20 Ehud then approached him while he was sitting alone in the upper room of his palace and said, “I have a message from God for you.” As the king rose from his seat, 21 Ehud reached with his left hand, drew the sword from his right thigh and plunged it into the king’s belly. 22 Even the handle sank in after the blade, and his bowels discharged. Ehud did not pull the sword out, and the fat closed in over it. 23 Then Ehud went out to the porch; he shut the doors of the upper room behind him and locked them.
24 After he had gone, the servants came and found the doors of the upper room locked. They said, “He must be relieving himself in the inner room of the palace.” 25 They waited to the point of embarrassment, but when he did not open the doors of the room, they took a key and unlocked them. There they saw their lord fallen to the floor, dead.
26 While they waited, Ehud got away. He passed by the stone images and escaped to Seirah. 27 When he arrived there, he blew a trumpet in the hill country of Ephraim, and the Israelites went down with him from the hills, with him leading them.
28 “Follow me,” he ordered, “for the Lord has given Moab, your enemy, into your hands.” So they followed him down and took possession of the fords of the Jordan that led to Moab; they allowed no one to cross over. 29 At that time they struck down about ten thousand Moabites, all vigorous and strong; not one escaped. 30 That day Moab was made subject to Israel, and the land had peace for eighty years.
Nelson's Complete Book of Bible Maps & Charts, Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville, TN;
Holman QuickSource Bible Atlas, Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, TN.
Map Index - Old Testament
- Abraham in the Land of Canaan
- 12 Spies Sent to Explore the Land
- Travels of Jacob
- Joseph Sold into Slavery
- Joshua, Conquest of Canaan, Central & Southern Campaigns
- Joshua, Conquest of Canaan, Northern Campaign
- NEW MAP The Tribal Allotments of Israel
- The Cities of Refuge
- Judges-Ehud and the Oppression of the Moabites
- Judges-Deborah's Victory Over The Canaanites
- Judges-Gideon Battles the Midianites
- Judges-Jephthah and the Ammonites
- Judges-Samson and the Philistines
- NEW MAP The Judges by Their Tribes
- Ruth, From Outsider to Royal Ancestress
- Life of Samuel
- Capture of the Ark
- The Philistine Threat
- Events in the Life of David, 1 Samual
- The Expansion of David's Kingdom, 2nd Samual
- The Life of Elijah
- Elisha's Ministry
- Josiah Battles Egyptian King Neco II
- Assyrian Campaigns Against Israel & Judah, 734 – 732 BC
- Assyrian Campaigns Against Israel & Samaria, 725 BC
- Assyrian Campaigns Against Judah, 701 BC
- Nebuchadnezzar's Campaigns Against Judah, 604 – 586 BC
Map Index - New Testament
- Jesus' Galilean Ministry
- Events in Christ's Ministry
- Jesus–From Resurrection to Ascension
- Peter's Early Ministries – Journeys
- The Life of Peter
- Philip's Travels
- Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Paul's Forth Missionary Journey (Rome)
- Paul's Route to Prison
- The Seven Churches of Revelation